Friday, March 11, 2011

Hope Without Dissappointment

And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us. Romans 5:3-5 NKJV
What is hope? Seventeen years ago I was a freshman in college in Houston. I had just left home in rural east Texas where there were 25 people in my graduating class, and I was lost in this big city. My new Sunday school teacher brought this verse up in class one Sunday morning. I clung to this verse over the next 4 years knowing God was building my character. I had many tribulations to deal with, but I persevered. Yes, this verse gave me hope as I faced the trials.
Unfortunately I neglected to understand the second half of the verse. What does the love of God being poured into our hearts by the Holy Spirit have to do with tribulation? Much, as I later found out. It took me along time, but there is so much more to this than I even realized as a young college student learning to persevere.
What is hope? Is this the wishful thinking we have when we are planning a picnic and think, “I hope it does not rain tomorrow”? Is this a fantasy we experience when that special person catches our eye and we think, “I hope she likes me”? What is hope? This hope Paul speaks of is something so much more. RC Sproul describes this hope as faith looking forward. This hope is our blessed assurance that we sing about. This is our guarantee that he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness(1 John 1:9). This is our promise of eternity with Christ. No wishful thinking here. This is a promise we can take to the bank.
Why can we be so sure in the hope we have been given? Because of where it comes from. This hope comes from the love of God that has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit. Not our love of God, but God’s love for us. Gods steadfast love that endures forever(Psalm 100:5). We can have blessed assurance because God’s love is patient and kind, and His love never fails(1 Corinthians 13). It is through his love that we are not allowed to be tempted beyond what we can bare and provides a way of escape(1 Corinthians 10:13). We are able to glory in tribulation because we know God loves us. We can persevere because God loves us. It is God’s love that gives us character. His perfect love drives out fear(1 John 4:18).
When we know that our creator loves us this deeply we can rest easy. We can be grateful in tribulation. We can continue to persevere. And we can continue to hope, knowing we will not be disappointed. I am grateful to have this hope, and I look forward to seeing the fulfillment of my God given hope when my trials ultimately come to their final end. Praise be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment